Colt’s Director of Ethernet & IP Products, Peter Coppens was recently interviewed by Cloudscene to discuss what’s really affecting the data centre industry in 2017.
The swathes of enterprises moving applications into the cloud and adopting software as a service (SaaS) combined with the growth of over the top markets (OTT) is causing a period of unprecedented growth for the data centre industry.
In 2017 we predict the following three changes as having the most profound impact on the data centre sector
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which came into effect in 2016 has a significant impact on the way organizations are expected to treat data privacy. Businesses across Europe and indeed the world are needing to review their data management processes including respecting the rights for individuals to request access and/or erasing of their personal data or potentially face a €20m fine.
- The introduction of the Green Grid Performance Indicator has been welcomed by most within the industry given the dissatisfaction with the “one-dimensional” view that PUE has offered to date. Known as the Performance Indicator (PI), the new measure combines PUE, IT Thermal Conformance and IT Thermal Resilience to collectively give a clearer marking system for examining data centres across organizations of all shapes and sizes.
- Managing digital transformation has always been a requirement of the IT decision-maker however, the momentum of technology change such as the IoT, AR and VR is putting strain on both data centre capacity and the skills and scope of IT Teams. Furthermore, the need for the ‘enterprise defined data centre’ has in many ways truly come into the spotlight now.
What's your goal today?
1. Partner with us to grow your company
Our network connects over 31,000 buildings worldwide powering companies such as Hitachi, Atos, Forbes, Arthur D Little, Brussels Airlines and thousands of others. Found out if you're Colt Connected today.
2. Learn about digital infrastructure
We've written thousands of guides and white papers, regularly publish content on our blog and host regular events on everything from enterprise network connectivity, to cloud, digital transformation and the hybrid workforce.
3. Join our team
To learn more about joining our team of over 5000 people around the world, and to browse our currently open roles visit https://careers.colt.net/.