Madrid, 3 July 2012
Colt, Europe’s leading information delivery platform, today announced the major expansion and enhancement of its network infrastructure in Spain. Colt’s network reach has been extended to the cities of Zaragoza, Castellón de la Plana, Sevilla and Malaga, to complement its existing connected cities in Spain: Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia. In addition, Colt has improved the speed of its ultra low latency route from Madrid to the rest of Europe’s key financial hubs, allowing Madrid’s financial institutions to benefit from reduced latency and the ability to execute trading strategies faster.
The network extension comprises four new Points of Presence (PoPs) connected to Colt’s network, allowing Spanish enterprises, SMEs, carriers and channel partners in these areas to benefit from Colt’s integrated network, compute and communications services with a faster and wider range of connectivity options. In addition, this investment deepens Colt’s presence in Spain and follows the recent expansion of the company’s European Barcelona-based Shared service centre employing 600+ people and servicing Colt’s 30,000 business customers across Europe.
“Colt’s new infrastructure investments in Spain, along with our growing European shared service centre in Barcelona, show our commitment to the Spanish market and to the continued expansion of our information delivery platform’s capabilities,” said François Eloy, Executive Vice President at Colt. “It enables us to meet the strong customer demand for national and international high speed connectivity. Colt is committed to helping organisations run smarter in Europe and we have built our capabilities in Spain with one eye on the future so that we can upgrade and meet performance requirements from carriers, SMEs and multinationals when required.”
Simultaneously, Colt has also further expanded the access to its services through the deployment of Ethernet First Mile (EFM) technology within Spain’s key business areas. This provides a diverse connectivity solution for SMEs or branch offices of major enterprises with high speed and scalable bandwidth of up to 40Mbps over copper, designed to complement existing fibre or traditional DSL connectivity.
– Ends –
Colt’s network map
Actelis Networks ships one millionth EFM port to Colt
Colt on YouTube
Colt on Twitter
Notes to editor
About Colt’s unique European network
- Colt’s network has been designed to meet the needs of its customers, including carriers and the financial and media/broadcast enterprise segments, where low latency and high bandwidth transport is vital. It is ready to support new technical solutions driven by customer demand, including IPv6 and 100Gbps Ethernet. The network is underpinned by robust systems and processes to enable proactive monitoring and rapid provisioning of services supported by end-to-end Service Level Agreements.
- The geographic situation of Colt’s infrastructure is unique and consists of a 43,000km European network connecting 39 metropolitan area networks, 100+ cities and 20 Colt data centres, as well as 27,000 km of transatlantic routes and US presence. Colt also connects 800 Network to Network Interfaces (NNIs) with over 150 selected network partners, extending Colt’s global reach to more than 200 countries servicing access needs for European businesses.
- In Spain, Colt manages an extensive network connecting key business areas including 3 metropolitan area networks in Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia and 2 Colt data centres.
- Colt has continued its pioneering European EFM deployment through the additional unbundling of Central Offices in Spain across all business areas it connects including its four new PoPs. Colt’s services are available via EFM access in 12 European countries and are based on Actelis Network solutions.
- Colt’s other recent low latency route upgrades include London to Zurich, London to Milan, London to Frankfurt, London to Dublin and Paris to Brussels, confirming Colt’s continued focus on the finance sector as a key vertical for its enterprise business.
Additional supporting quote:
Andy Young, Financial Services client director, Colt: “Colt’s continuous investment in reliable ultra low latency infrastructure across key trading routes in Europe means that our clients can trade on multiple exchanges faster, effectively bringing the exchanges closer together by addressing the demands of high frequency trading. When it comes to succeeding in market making, low latency technology services is what drives the speed advantage for traders. This new, significantly improved route guarantees constant and predictable low latency which will help market participants in Spain quickly exploit new opportunities as they emerge and support trading strategies which leverage multiple asset classes.“
Colt is the information delivery platform for Europe, enabling its customers to deliver, share, process and store their vital business information. An established leader in delivering integrated computing and network services to major organisations, midsized businesses and wholesale customers, Colt operates a 22-country, 43,000km network that includes metropolitan area networks in 39 major European cities with direct fibre connections into 18,000 buildings and 20 Colt data centres (one in development).
In 2010, the Colt Data Centre Services business was launched to deliver innovative high quality modular data centres which are rapid to deploy and power efficient.
Colt is listed on the London Stock Exchange (COLT). Information about Colt and its services can be found at www.colt.net.
Weber Shandwick, Christopher Cowan
DDI: + 44 20 7067 0702
Colt, Francois d’Essertaux
Mobile: +44 7538 095 485
Industry analysts’ Contact
Loudhouse, Agi Donnithorne
DDI: + 44 (0)8453 700655
Mobile: +44 (0)7595 003328